WORKSHOP: 8-bit political text-mode graphics
Are certain kind of aesthetics connected to certain kinds of political issues!? Does it always have to be like that? What if you altered the aestethics connected to the issue? Could you reach new audiences with altered visual styles?
Come and create your own political graphics in 8-bit aesthetics! Learn how to perform visuals using 8-bit pixel graphics and/or text characters (letters, numbers and other symbols). No previous experience is needed.
Bring your own media to convert, it can be stills, interviews, video material and more! Create a theme that connects visual form with your political issue of choice.
Raquel Meyers and RåFILM is holding this unique workshop in Malmö 28-30 of april!
This workshop will cover for example Ascii, Ansi, PETSCII and Teletext (“Text-TV”). The purpose of the workshop is to find new ways of expression in these unique media environments. Although often misunderstood as limiting and difficult, these tools are often quite helpful to develop new procedures, ideas and motivations. New ideas don’t require new technologies. Sometimes it’s even easier to be progressive with old tools.
The workshop will be held by Raquel Meyers who works with low-res graphics and photography for performance, web, video and installations. Since 2004 she has performed at VJ-festivals like Mapping and Cimatics, at 8bit events like Tokyo Blip Festival and the Playlist exhibition, aswell at Transmediale, LABoral and LEV Festival. She currently lives and works in Sweden.
Read and see more on: www.raquelmeyers.com // http://text-mode.tumblr.com/
RåFILM is a film collective that for over a decade has worked with finding new ways of connecting art and activism, doing animations, documentaries and more. Read more at; www.rafilm.se
– 28 – 29 April – a two day workshop at Kontrapunkt in Malmö. 1-8PM
– 30 April – screening on a local wall near you! We gather at Möllevångstorget at 8PM. (If it´s raining we´ll come up with a plan B.)
– No previous experience is necessary!
– Bring a computer. We have some extra computers that people can borrow if you ask us in advance. Most of the software works in Windows, but there will be options for Mac & Linux too.
– If you have material you want to use, bring that.
– The workshop will be held in English.
– Location; Kontrapunkt Kollektiva Verkstäder, Norra Grängesbergsg. 26
– Limited amount of participants to 10 people! Please e-mail (email@example.com) or call
(0735-538344) to Alex Veitch to book a place.
Puss och Kamp!
///RåFILM och Raquel Meyes